Cheesy Peasy Bowtie Pasta
This meal is so simple to throw together and includes a veggie too. This nice and creamy pasta is great on any night for a family meal. I serve it often with a salad and crusty garlic bread. Everyone is happy! Enjoy!
- 1 1/3 cups half and half
- 8 ounces dried bow tie pasta
- 1 cup frozen green baby peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Fontina or Fresh Parmesan
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- cooked and crumbled bacon pieces
- In a small saucepan, bring the half and half to a simmer.
- Turn off the heat but leave the saucepan on the burner. Meanwhile, cook the bow ties according to the package directions.
- Drain them well and stir in the peas. Keep the pasta and peas warm while you make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. When it begins to bubble, lower the heat and whisk in the flour.
- Whisking constantly, cook the butter and flour together for 3 to 5 minutes or until they have thickened.
- Add the heated half and half and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth and reaches a full boil, about 5 minutes. Take the saucepan off the heat.
- Sprinkle in the cheese and bacon. Pour the sauce over the bow ties and peas, toss with the Parmesan, and season to taste (add the nutmeg if you want).